The Spinney Country Guest House is a fabulous old house in a beautiful setting. You might have read before that old houses can be a bit of a handful, and you wouldn’t be wrong. The Spinney and the gardens need frequent care and attention. This attention means that we can enjoy them today, but in the future, too. A big part of this is taking care of the environment. To do this, I’m running the Spinney as sustainably as is possible and doing everything for the environment I can.
A symbol of this is my membership of Green Tourism. This scheme provides encouragement for tourism businesses to reduce their environmental impact. By encouraging sustainable practices, the scheme ensures the continued enjoyment of the environment around us for future generations.
I’ve made several commitments that you’ll notice when you come to stay. These include:
- Sourcing local produce where possible.
- Making my own biscuits, bread, cakes, jams and marmalade.
- Recycling as much as possible.
- Using low energy light bulbs in use throughout the house.
- Providing information about local public transport.
- Offering walking and cycling information so that you can enjoy nature in a sustainable way.
- Providing storage for bicycles and any other outdoor equipment you might have.
- Working with local artists.
When you come to visit, it would be fabulous if you could help out too. You can do this in a number of ways. These include:
- Sorting your rubbish. Recyclable items go in the bin in the room, other items go in the bathroom bin.
- Helping to conserve water and electricity. For example, by turning lights off when you leave rooms.
- Enjoying the local produce particularly at breakfast.
If you have any further ideas and suggestions for things that might help, I’d love to hear them when you come to stay!